Warm and cozy vegetable soup takes less than 30 minutes to make and is a staple recipe for weeknights. Serve with warm, crusty bread or a grilled cheese for a veggie-packed meal the whole family will love.
If you're looking for ways to add more vegetables to your daily routine, having a big pot of vegetable soup on hand makes it so easy. We love serving this with crusty bread, grilled chicken or a simple salad. This is one of those recipes that tastes better the longer it lasts. Keep reading to learn tons of tips on how to make easy vegetable soup.
Ingredients for vegetable soup:
- Diced tomatoes
- Tomato soup
- Vegetable broth
- Corn, peas and carrots (I like to use a frozen mix)
- Spices: Italian seasoning, salt and pepper
How to make homemade vegetable soup:
- Start by sweating the onions and celery together over medium high heat in a large stock pot. These aromatic ingredients give a nice sweetness to the soup.
- Next, add the rest of the ingredients, except for the salt and pepper and stir well. Allow the soup to come to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered for 20-25 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Season with salt and pepper at the end then taste the soup to see if you want to add any more seasoning. Serve warm!
How to make it in the crock pot: Cook the onion and celery over medium heat for 2-3 minutes then add them to the crock pot with the rest of the ingredients. Cook on high for 3 hour or on low for 6-7 hours.
Do you simmer soup with the lid on or off?
You will simmer this vegetable soup with the lid off. When you simmer it this way, the soup will evaporate faster and result in a thicker soup with richer flavor.
How to season vegetable soup:
The trick to seasoning vegetable soup is waiting until the end to add the salt and pepper. Depending on how salty your stock is to begin with will determine how much you want to add. As the soup cooks down and water evaporates the soup gets saltier so waiting until the end is the best option.
Adding extra flavor to your soup:
If you're looking to add any different flavors to your soup you can try a few things:
- Hot sauce
- Fresh herbs like rosemary and thyme
- Toppings like crumbled crackers, cornbread or parmesan cheese
How long does vegetable soup last in the fridge?
This soup will last up to 5 days in the fridge. Like many soups, this recipe even gets better with time. The longer the ingredients mix and sit together, the more delicious it is!
Can you freeze vegetable soup?
This is a great freezer meal! There are two ways you can freeze this recipe to make for another day:
- Cook the recipe all the way through, allow it to cool completely, then add it to air tight container or ziplock bag.
- Cook the onion and celery then add it to a freezer bag with the rest of the ingredients before cooking. Thaw overnight in the fridge and cook on the stove or in the crock pot on high for 3 hours or low for 6-7 hours.
How to reheat this soup: Reheat on the stove until it's warmed all the way through. If it's been in the freezer, thaw overnight first. You can also warm individual bowls in the microwave.
What to serve with vegetable soup:
- Sourdough bread
- Simple Mills Artisan bread
- Crumbled crackers
- Parmesan cheese
- Grilled cheese
If you love this recipe as much as I do, don't forget to follow me on Instagram and tag me with @what_mollymade so I can see it and feature you.
More simple soup recipes:
- Lentil Soup with Italian Sausage
- Chicken Florentine Soup
- Greek Lemon Chicken Soup
- Lemon Lentil Soup
- Whole30 Zuppa Toscana
Easy Vegetable Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 2 ribs celery chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomato with the juices
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 russet potatoes diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Heat a large stock pot over medium heat and add the diced onion and chopped celery. Cook and stir frequently for 3-4 minutes until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, except the salt and pepper, and stir to combine. Turn the heat up to medium-high and bring to a boil then reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 20-25 minutes until the potatoes are fork-tender. Stir in the salt and pepper then taste and add more if desired.