Make this incredibly easy chocolate banana ice cream with only a few ingredients! It's a nice cream recipe featuring bananas and cocoa. No need for an ice cream maker!
Ever since I found out I was pregnant with our first, I've been eating ice cream like no one's business. All that sounds good at night is some cold chocolate ice cream. To help keep my refined sugar down I decided to make this vegan chocolate banana ice cream and stock it in our fridge.
My favorite way to eat chocolate banana ice cream
It's so fudgy and rich and it melts in your mouth. I love to eat it like soft serve straight out of the blender, but you can also keep it in the freezer for a while and scoop it out like traditional ice cream.
Is dark chocolate ice cream good for you?
This double dark chocolate ice cream is great for you! Though it's higher in sugar content from the natural sugars of the banana, it fits really well into an anti-inflammatory, paleo, gluten free or dairy free diet. It's a great healthier option to traditional chocolate ice cream.
- Frozen bananas
- Cocoa powder
- Almond milk
- Nut butter (like peanut or almond butter!)
- Optional: Dairy free chocolate chips or chocolate chunks (I use Enjoy Life chocolate chips and chocolate bars)
What to do with ripe bananas
For starters, you can make this chocolate banana ice cream! You need 4 frozen bananas for one batch so you'll use them up quickly. You can also save leftover frozen bananas for a tropical kale smoothie or a tropical coconut smoothie bowl.
Do bananas go bad in the freezer?
No, bananas don't go bad in the freezer. You can freeze bananas for up to one year and use them without worrying. If you've got brown bananas and don't want to make something like paleo banana bread, you can freeze them to have whenever you have a craving for chocolate banana ice cream.
If you love this recipe as much as I do, don't forget to follow me on Instagram and tag me with @what_mollymade so I can see it and feature you.
More healthy ice cream and popsicle recipes:
- Naturally sweet blueberry popsicles
- Red, white and blue yogurt popsicles
- Iced coffee breakfast popsicles
- Strawberry basil paleo popsicles
Vegan chocolate banana ice cream
- 4 frozen peeled bananas
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons nut butter almond, peanut or cashew
- 11 ounces chopped dairy free dark chocolate (optional)
- Place frozen banana, nut butter, cocoa powder and almond milk into a food processor or high-speed blender. Blend on high until it reaches a smooth consistency, 1-2 minutes.
- If using, add chopped dark chocolate and pulse quickly to combine.
- You can eat the ice cream immediately for a soft-serve consistency or transfer to a bread pan to freeze for a more ice cream consistency, at least 1 hour. Thaw for a few minutes prior to eating.