These hot chocolate sticks are the perfect Christmas gift or drink to warm up on a cold winter night. Complete with a video, this recipe has everything you need to make the best Hot Chocolate on a Stick. It's made with dark chocolate, cocoa powder, vanilla, sea salt and your favorite milk — that's it!
Are you looking for a fun gift for a teacher? Are you wanting to put a personal touch on your gifts to show your loved ones how much you care? Or, are you just looking for a simple way to make hot chocolate whenever you need it? Then, these Hot Chocolate sticks are for you!
I love having hot chocolate on command during the holidays. And, I love to make my own because then I know exactly what ingredients are going in it. I get to control the amount of chocolate and flavors going in it, and this recipe for Hot Chocolate on a Stick makes that so easy.
All you have to do is melt one of these in a cup of your favorite milk!
Can you make hot cocoa with chocolate chips?
Yes, you can make cocoa with chocolate chips! In fact, Hot Chocolate on a Stick. They melt easily and pour into molds without a problem. Chocolate chips make this recipe!
A good quality chocolate is best so they a deep chocolatey flavor that makes the hot chocolate flavorful.
How to make hot chocolate sticks
- Hot Chocolate on a Stick is super simple! Start by melting the dark chocolate in a double boiler or in increments in the microwave.
- Once melted, add the cocoa powder, sea salt and vanilla. You could also add other fun flavors here like peppermint or almond extract.
- Once you've added all of the ingredients, mix them well until smooth, then pour it into a piping bag. Cut off the tip of the piping bag and pour them into your molds.
- Sprinkle each mold with your favorite toppings, add the sticks, then put them in the fridge for up to 2 hours to set.
Note: be sure to use an extract with no water. The water in the extract can make the chocolate seize! And, we're looking for a melty chocolate for this recipe!
Before you put your Hot Chocolate on a Stick in the fridge to set, you need to top them with your favorite ingredients!
Not only does this add some extra flavor to the Hot Chocolate on a Stick, but it also makes them look pretty! I added crushed candy cane and sea salt to mine, but here are all of my favorite toppings:
- crushed candy cane
- sea salt
- chopped hazelnuts
- chopped almonds
What molds to use
You don't have to have special molds to make this recipe. I used large silicone molds, but you could use a few things you probably have in your home! Two really great ways to make Hot Chocolate on a Stick is by using a mini muffin tin or an ice cube tray.
Pour the melted chocolate mixture into the muffin tin or ice cube tray, then follow the directions to top and set!
How to package Hot Chocolate on a Stick as gifts
The best thing you can do with Hot Chocolate on a Stick is to give it as a gift! All you have to do is package them up and give them away to friends, family, teachers or neighbors. Aren't edible gifts the best?!
To package this Hot Chocolate on a Stick, wrap them separately in a piece of plastic or cellophane candy wrap. Wrap festive red and white string around the base of the chocolate and add a fun printable label. Tie in a bow with the label facing out. Store at room temperature until you're ready to give them away!
I love this recipe because it makes hot chocolate so fun and easy! Give them away as gifts or keep them to for an easy night in! Either way, this recipe will warm souls and make your Christmas bright!
Watch how to make hot chocolate sticks
If you make this recipe, don't forget to follow me on Instagram and tag me with @what_mollymade so I can see it and feature you!
More hot chocolate recipes:
Hot chocolate on a stick
- 18 ounces Dark Chocolate or semi sweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces of your choice of dairy free milk I used almond milk
- Sea salt candy canes, mini marshmallows or extra chocolate, to top sticks
- Whipped cream to top hot chocolate optional ( I used coconut whipped cream)
- On a double boiler, melt the chocolate until smooth. Stir in your cocoa powder, vanilla and salt.
- Fill a plastic piping bag with the melted chocolate mixture and cut the tip off. Pipe the chocolate into an ice cube mold or mini muffin tins. Top each mold with sea salt, candy canes, mini marshmallows or chocolate.
- Place lollipop sticks or popsicles sticks into each mold. You may need to place them in the refrigerator for 10 minutes to set a bit so the sticks stay upright.
- Transfer molds to the refrigerator to set completely, at least 30 minutes.
- Wrap and gift to a friend for Christmas or serve yourself.
- To serve, warm 12 ounces of milk over the stove or in the microwave until just boiling. Add the hot chocolate on a stick and stir until completely dissolved. Top with whipped cream and serve with more chocolate chunks, or crushed candy cane.
Leave a Reply