These easy vegan biscuits are light and flaky ang made and baked to pillowy perfection in 20 minutes. They're made with whole wheat flour, coconut oil and maple syrup for a sweet and flaky treat.
I love biscuits because you can make them sweet or savory. A rich and creamy sausage gravy is the perfect companion to a flaky crust. Biscuits also make a delicious topping to a cobbler, like the roasted strawberry cobbler I'm sharing later this week!
Biscuits, I've come to realize over my years of baking, are a lot less intimidating than people think. There is no rising required, which makes the dough come together in minutes. From there you bake for 10 minutes and you're ready to eat for breakfast or dessert.
Traditional biscuits are made by cutting cold butter into flour, but with these easy vegan biscuits we're subbing the butter for coconut oil. Make sure your coconut oil is at room temperature. You'll cut the coconut oil into the whole what flour by using a pastry blender or two knives.
This will give you little bits of dispersed coconut oil throughout the flour so when you put them in the oven the coconut oil melts and creates steam. This creates little pockets of fat that makes the flaky texture so famous in biscuits.
I know we aren't using actual butter here but I love the flavor butter gives to biscuits. I used butter extract to sub for the missing dairy product in these easy vegan biscuits but you can definitely omit if you don't have it. I linked to it just below the recipe. You can get it on amazon really cheap.
The other ingredients in these easy vegan biscuits are plain and simple. There's maple syrup to add a touch of sweetness. I love to sweeten baked goods with all natural maple syrup. It adds depth and flavor without all of the refined sugar in typical sugar.
The liquid portion of this recipe is canned coconut milk. You can get it near the evaporated milk in the baking aisle or at the link below the recipe! Once you've cut the coconut oil into the flour mixture you'll add the wet ingredients, including the maple syrup and almond milk.
Be careful not to over mix here or your dough could be come too tough instead of soft and flaky.
Once it's mixed, you'll roll the dough out onto a well floured surface. You'll want to roll it out so it'a about 1/2 an inch thick. From there you can use a circular cookie or biscuit cutter to cut out circular rounds out of the dough. If you don't have a specific circle cookie cutter you can use the top of a glass.
How To Make Vegan Biscuits
Easy Vegan BiscuitsPRINT RECIPE PIN RECIPE
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter extract
- 2/3 canned coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut oil solid
- Preheat oven to 425°F and position the rack to the center position. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the white whole wheat flour, baking powder and salt. Using a pastry cutter or two knives, cut in coconut oil until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gently stir in coconut milk, pure maple syrup and butter extract just until a dough forms.
- Lightly flour a clean surface and pat together and flatten the dough to form a rectangle about 1/2 an inch thick. Using a circular cookie cutter or biscuit cutter, cut dough into 12 circles and arrange on the prepared baking sheet, positioning them about 1 1/2 inches apart. Re-roll dough out and cut more biscuits. Repeat until dough is gone.
- Bake until golden brown, approximately 13 to 16 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE!? SNAP A PIC AND TAG @WHAT_MOLLYMADE AND USE #WHATMOLLYMADE!
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pays me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting What Molly Made!