This creamy tuscan chicken recipe is the best healthy dinner recipe! It’s full of flavor, but it’s keto (low carb!) and paleo. Make it in a cast iron skillet and put it in the oven for a simple, healthy meal. It’s made with easy ingredients like chicken thighs, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes and basil.
My new favorite thing is giving all of you easy and healthy dinner recipes. During the week I struggle making recipes with tons of ingredients and have tons of steps to make them.
My goal is to change the way you think about eating healthy! Healthy dinners should be something you look forward to eating and bring you joy when you share them wit family. This recipe does that! I’ve been eating it for 3 meals in a row and I still look forward to it.
I can’t wait for you too try this creamy tuscan chicken! If you eat Keto or paleo, or just really like yummy food this recipe is for you.
What is tuscan chicken?
Tuscan chicken is a way of preparing chicken with tuscan ingredients. This creamy tuscan chicken is a flavor combination that includes garlic, sun-dried tomatoes and basil. It’s made with a dairy free cream sauce and smothers the roasted chicken thighs.
How do you make tuscan chicken?
To make this creamy tuscan chicken, start by getting the outside of the chicken thighs really crispy. You’ll cook them in a skillet over high heat for 2-3 minutes, or until the skin turns golden brown. Flip and repeat.
Then remove the chicken from the pan and sauté the onion and garlic and reduce it with chicken stock. Place the chicken back in the pan with the onion mixture and put the whole pan in the oven at 400°F for 25 minutes. Make sure you have an oven proof pan!
Once it’s cooked, remove the chicken again to make the creamy tuscan sauce. Add the coconut cream (with tapioca starch), sun-dried tomatoes and basil and cook for 3 minutes. Add the chicken back to the pan, cover with sauce and serve!
Simple and healthy creamy tuscan chicken!
What goes with tuscan chicken?
If you’re eating paleo or Keto: I recommend serving this creamy tuscan chicken with a fresh kale salad or spinach salad.
If you’re eating anti-inflammatory (like me!): You could serve this creamy tuscan chicken with a brown rice pasta, plain white rice and roasted potatoes.
All options are delicious!
How is this creamy tuscan chicken recipe Keto and paleo?
This creamy tuscan chicken is Keto and paleo because it’s made without a lot of carbs and it’s made with dairy free, gluten free and refined sugar free ingredients.
For the sauce, we’re using coconut milk to give it a creamy texture and tapioca starch to thicken it up. Both are low carb and paleo! The garlic, sun-dried tomatoes and basil are paleo friendly too.
We’re also using chicken thighs because they have so much extra flavor! The bone stays in so the meat stays juicy and there’s some extra flavor from the dark meat.
Like I said, you’re going to look forward to making this recipe!!
If you do make it, don’t forget to follow me on Instagram and tag me with @what_mollymade so I can see it and feature you.
More gluten free and dairy free meals:
Creamy tuscan chicken
- 4-5 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- Sea salt and and pepper to season chicken
- 2 tablespoons ghee or olive oil divided
- 1 small onion ½ cup, diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 chicken broth or bone broth
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2/3 cup full fat coconut milk cream only from the top of the can or can buy coconut cream separately
- 2 teaspoons tapioca or arrowroot starch
- 1-7 ounce jar Sun-dried tomatoes drained and sliced
- 1/2 cup Fresh basil chopped
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. Heat 1 tablespoon of ghee or olive oil in a large cast iron skillet (or any oven-proof skillet) over high heat. Season one side of the chicken and place it seasoned side down in the pan. Then sprinkle the other sides of the chicken with salt and pepper. Cook on each side for 2-3 minutes, until crispy and golden brown.
- Once brown, remove chicken from the skillet and place on a plate or cutting board. Lower heat to low and add one more tablespoons of ghee or olive oil. Add the chopped onions and cook one minute until softened. Add the garlic and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes until soft, fraegerent and translucent. Season with more salt and pepper if desired. Add the chicken broth to deglaze the pan and stir well.
- Return the seared chicken back to the skillet and place the skillet in the preheated oven and bake uncovered for 25 minutes, or until chicken reaches and internal temperature of 160°F.
- While it’s baking, chop the sundried tomatoes and basil and mix the tapioca starch with the coconut cream in a small owl. The mixture will be thick and pasty.
- Once the chicken is done baking, return skillet to stovetop and remove the chicken again to make the sauce. Add the coconut milk to the pan and whisk well until combined. Stir in the sun-dried tomatoes and basil and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Allow to simmer for 2-3 minutes until thickened. Return chicken to the skillet and cover with sauce.
- Serve with a salad, brown rice pasta, white rice or roasted potatoes.
- To store, cover in an air-tight container and keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Heat over the stove or in the microwave