You only need 5 ingredients for this simple avocado smoothie. It's full of healthy fats, fiber, veggies and fruit for a nutrient-packed breakfast or snack that will keep you full.
If there is one ingredient I always try to add to my smoothies, it's avocado! And this simple avocado banana smoothie is a staple in our home. There's sweetness from the banana and a savory taste from the avocado. Bonus that it's naturally vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free and paleo.
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Spinach: organic, fresh spinach is best, but you can also use fresh kale.
- Avocado: We used ripe avocado, but I've seen frozen avocado chunks you can buy in the store, or you can freeze your own avocado. All three give you the creamy, milkshake consistency we're looking for.
- Almond milk: a clean, unsweetened nut milk is a great option. We also like this recipe with coconut milk.
- Banana and pineapple: But you could swap either of these with frozen mango or strawberries (this will change the color).
Make it Healthier with Supplements
Sneak some extra nutrients (like my PCOS supplements) into your smoothie. Here are some popular supplements for smoothies!
- Protein powder: one scoop of collagen peptides or my favorite vanilla protein powder
- Extra fiber: flax seed, chia seeds and psyllium husk
- Any adaptogenic herbs: ashwaghanda or maca
- Frozen vegetables: like cauliflower rice or zucchini
- Fresh blueberries
- Nut butter like peanut butter or almond butter
How to make an Avocado Smoothie (step by step)
- Blend the spinach and milk: Blend the spinach and milk on high for 30 seconds until the spinach is broken up and the mixture is green.
- Blend until thick and creamy: Add the rest of the ingredients (including any optional add-ins) then close the lid and blend for another 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add more milk as needed.
- Serve: Enjoy right away!
Avocado Smoothie FAQs
Healthy fats: avocados are full of healthy fats that fill you up and keep you full.
Fiber: Half and avocado delivers 10g of fiber! The added greens give you even more.
Nutrients and Minerals: Avocados are full of folate, magnesium potassium, B vitamins and more.
The cornerstone to a healthy smoothie include: protein, fat, greens and fiber (the fab 4 smoothie). Nutritionist and health expert, Kelly Leveque, created this concept and is something I try to accomplish with each smoothie recipe.
The avocado has a very mild flavor, so it takes on the taste of the more dominant flavors in this recipe like the banana and pineapple.
How to Meal Prep this Avocado Smoothie Recipe
Add all of the ingredients, except the milk, to a plastic bag or reusable storage bag. When you're ready, add all fo the ingredients form the freezer to the blender and then add the milk. Add more milk as needed!
If you love this recipe, don't forget to leave a star rating and review! You and also tag me on Instagram so I can see it and feature you.
- Tropical kale smoothie
- Hormone healing green smoothie
- Pitaya smoothie bowl
- PB&J smoothie bowl
- Berry almond smoothie bowl
Ultra Creamy Avocado Smoothie
- 1 ½ cups packed spinach
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk (or other dairy free milk) *see notes for oat milk
- ½ large avocado
- ½ frozen banana
- ¼ cup frozen pineapple chunks
Optional add ins:
- ½ cup Frozen zucchini or cauliflower (like cauliflower rice)
- 1 tablespoon seeds: flax seed or chia seed (for fiber)
- 1 serving of protein powder (like Collagen Protein or Pea Protein)
- 1 serving of adaptogenic herbs (like Ashwaghanda or Maca)
- Add the spinach and milk to the blender and blend on high for 30 seconds until the spinach is broken up and the mixture is green.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (including any optional add-ins) then close the lid and blend for another 30 seconds to 1 minute. Serve right away!
Leave a Reply