These steak and potato foil packets are a quick and easy summer recipe for the grill! This healthy recipe is filled with assorted veggies, sweet potatoes and steak and is tossed with fresh herbs and garlic. It’s a great recipe for parties and entertaining!
Happy summer everyone! Today is the official FIRST day of summer and I couldn’t kick it off any other way than with an easy grilling recipe.
Zach and I love to cook out during the summer. So many days during the week (and weekend!) we grab all the veggies in our fridge and a few steaks and throw them on the grill for an easy and healthy recipe.
I wanted to switch things up and do some steak and potato foil packets, especially with 4th of July and summer entertaining coming up!
I recently had the honor of attending a trip with Ohio Beef to learn even more about beef and the industry. We spent an entire day learning grilling tips and tricks then we went out to a cattle ranch and feed lot to learn even more about the industry and process.
I learned SO much, met so many amazing people and came back with a fully belly, happy heart and tons more knowledge in my brain. I wanted to share some of my favorite beef and grilling tips with you since we’re making a steak recipe today!
Top beef and grilling tips
- Always use a thermometer to check doneness for any cut of steak
- All beef needs rest time after it hits temp so create foil tent to keep it warm and let it rest
- The longer you cook it the more water you take out of it which makes it dry
- Try to salt your steak and beef at the end
- Medium rare is 135°F. Once it reaches that temp, take off, cover and let rise to 145°F
- When beef is stuck to grill it’s not quite ready to flip
- As a general rule, cook steaks 4-5 minutes on each side for each inch of steak
- Some of the best cuts for grilling include: Strip Steak, Flank and Ribeye
Here are even more grilling guidelines if you need a few extra pointers!
After we learned all about steaks and grilling we hit the road to visit a cattle ranch. I always see so many beef farms while driving through Ohio so it was so cool to finally stop and visit a farm. There are 17,000 beef farming families in Ohio, and 98 percent are family farms. Beef cattle can be found in every Ohio county. I love being able to see where the food I’m eating comes from!
I made these steak and potato foil packs soon after I got home and knew I needed to share this recipe for all of you, especially with 4th of July coming up!
What’s in steak and potato foil packets?
- top sirloin steak
- assorted veggies including: peppers, onion, broccoli and more
- sweet potatoes
- fresh herbs like thyme and parsley
This is a super easy recipe to customize as well! Whatever veggies you have in your fridge are perfect to throw on the grill. The fresh herbs add such a bright and fresh flavor that everyone will love!
These foil packets with steak and potatoes are my new summer go-to! And in under 20 minutes you can have a full meal for everyone!
If you love this recipe as much as me, please don’t forget to tag me on Instagram with #WhatMollyMade or @what_mollymade so I can see and feature you!
This post was sponsored by Ohio Beef Council. All thoughts and opinions are my own! A huge shout out to them for helping me so I continue to create free and delicious recipes for all of you!
- 2 medium sweet potatoes cut into small chunks
- 2 carrots sliced
- 1 red bell pepper cubed
- 1 green bell pepper cubed
- 1 small red onion cubed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds top sirloin steak cut into one inch cubes
- 1/4 cup coconut oil or butter room temperature
- ¼ cup freshly chopped parsley
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- ½ teaspoon salt
In a medium bowl add the sweet potatoes, carrots, bell peppers, and red onion. Add salt and pepper and toss with olive oil.
Place 6 large pieces of heavy aluminum foil on the counter and evenly place vegetable mixture on top of each piece of foil. Top vegetables with cubed steak and set aside.
To make the garlic herb mixture, add the coconut oil or butter, parsley, garlic, rosemary, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Divide mixture evenly and place a scoop on top of the steak. Fold the top and sides of the foil, leaving space for steam to rise inside.
Allow grill to heat then place packets on the grill and close the cover. Grill for 12-15 minutes or until steak is cooked through and veggies are tender. Carefully open packets and serve.
If you want distinct grill marks, throw the cubed steak on a grill pan for a few minutes prior to adding to the foil packets.