If you crunched Christmas up and baked it - these warm, chewy and delicious Molasses Cookies would magically come out of the oven. Wafting through your kitchen with boatloads of love and Christmas cheer.
Molasses cookies are a classic so we had to make them in our christmas cookie roundup. So here they are: number 5! I've been eating them for years and last year decided to finally give them a go in the kitchen.
Admittedly, my first attempt was an epic fail. I tried melting the butter in the recipe and that was a terrible decision. Even though I refrigerated the dough, the cookies spread all over the pan and even started dripping off the side. It wasn't pretty. I had to do emergency surgery and wipe the cookie off the sheet so it didn't drip and burn on the bottom of my oven. Needless to say, those got trashed.
They're easy and convenient to make. Because the dough needs to be chilled, you can make the dough days before you need them and leave it in the fridge (up to 3 days). If it's more than three days I recommend freezing the dough to keep it fresh. Either way, you will have homemade cookies within minutes! ?
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup baked brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar for rolling
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, with a stand mixer or electric mixer, beat together butter and sugar on medium speed for about one minute. Add the eggs and molasses and beat on medium until combined.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour, up to three days.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and cover two baking sheets with parchment paper. Place about 1/2 cup sugar in a bowl.
- Roll dough into one inch in balls. Roll in granulated sugar and place about 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Bake from 8-10 minutes, until cookies start to crinkle on top. Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet for 3 minutes. Transfer to baking rack and let cool completely.