This modern farmhouse bathroom remodel takes a small space and turns it into a bright, luxurious master bathroom. A walk in shower, subway tile, new lighting and modern farmhouse decor opens and brightens the space.
When we moved into our home we had one and a half baths and we knew we wanted to turn the half bath off the master into a full master bathroom.
We closed off a wall, added a shower and updated the paint and fixtures, plus added some modern decor.
Before and after:
How to make a dated bathroom look modern:
You don't have to spend a ton of money to make a bathroom look more modern. If you don't have to move plumbing or walls, aesthetic updates are very affordable. Here are a few tips:
- Update fixtures: lighting, faucets, shower heads, vanity pulls, towel hooks etc.
- Take advantage of natural light minimal window treatments and light walls like white
- Add subway tile if possible
- Choose decor that's modern and functional
- Add plants to liven it up
How to make a small bathroom look luxurious?
We had a pretty small space to work with but knew we could make it work. Here are a few tips to make a smaller space look larger:
- Add a walk in shower with glass
- Add a bench and shelving to the shower for built in storage
- Use open shelving when possible
- Paint the walls a light color and use a light tile
- Use minimal decor so it doesn't feel cluttered
- Find stylish storage options (like our bar cart!)
How do you decorate a bathroom farmhouse style?
- Create contrast with whites and blacks
- Add earthy-tones like wood, greenery and brown
- Create dimension like shiplap, subway tile etc.
- Mix old and new elements and even add some industrial or boho pieces
- use open shelves with layered decor
I hope you love this bathroom update! Check out our modern farmhouse kitchen update for more!
This looks great! Can I ask what you used for flooring?
Molly Thompson says
Hi Beth! I'm so sorry, but those floors were already in there when we moved in. We didn't update the floors when we updated the rest of the bathroom!
Beth Kim says
I can’t believe we both found this post on the same day but I have the same question! Your floors are beautiful! If you know, could you let me know what kind of wood, and size pieces they are?? Thank you!!
Love the bathroom. Can you tell me where you purchased the mirror? I didn't see it linked, thanks!
Hi Molly. Love the bathroom remodel. I was wondering where did you purchase the shower pan? We are starting to remodel ours and take out our bathtub as well. Thanks for your help.
Marie Seitzer says
Beautiful bathroom! We have the exact same size in our downstairs bathroom - where did you buy the shower pan?
Molly Thompson says
I’m curious what the overall width of this shower is? And the width of just the glass? I’m in the midst of remodeling our small bathroom. Thank you! I’m leaning towards this walk in look, due to a window.