Zesty and easy Italian pasta salad makes a healthy cookout side dish or even a fresh lunch to look forward to. This recipe is gluten free and can easily be made dairy free too.
Although this recipe is a major CROWD PLEASER at any BBQ, please don't wait to be invited to a cookout before you make this. It's a great summer side or light lunch with simple ingredients.
Italian Pasta Salad Ingredients:
- Gluten free Fusili pasta: I love this type of pasta because all of the twists and ridges hold the dressing so well
- Al Fresco fully cooked Sweet Italian Style Chicken Sausage: it's full of Italian spices and red and green peppers.
- Black olives
- Red onion
- Cherry tomatoes
- Mozzarella (can omit for dairy free option)
- Salt and pepper
The chicken sausage in this recipe is unique and one I LOVE to use for easy meals. See all my sheet pan meals for reference. It's clean and fully cooked (aka so easy to use!) and the Italian spices are perfect for this cold pasta salad.
Another super important component to this recipe: THE DRESSING.
This dressing is zippy and tangy and fresh and you'll want to to pour it over everything. Promise.
Italian dressing ingredients:
- Red wine vinegar
- Dijon mustard
- Fresh parsley
- Fresh basil
- Light olive oil
- Salt and pep
How to make cold Italian pasta salad:
Start by cooking the pasta according to the package directions. While it's cooking, make sure all of your ingredients are washed, chopped and ready. Make the dressing by adding all of the ingredients to a bowl and whisk together or place in a lidded jar and shake well (this is how I do it).
When the pasta is done, drain and rinse under cold water. Add the pasta to a large bowl and add the rest of the ingredients. Pour the dressing over and toss well to coat.
If you love this recipe as much as I do, don't forget to follow me on Instagram and tag me with @what_mollymade so I can see it and feature you.
This recipe is sponsored by Al Fresco. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you to brands like them who believe in me and my recipes and allow me to continue to share free recipes with you. #alfrescoambassador #ad
More salad recipes:
- Creamy avocado pasta salad
- Sweet potato salad [vegan | gluten free]
- Strawberry spinach salad
- The best shaved brussels sprout salad
- Summer corn salad
Italian Pasta Salad
For the pasta salad:
- 16 oz Gluten Free Fusilli
- 1 11 oz package of Al Fresco Sweet Italian Style Chicken Sausage
- 3.8 oz jar sliced black olives Black olives
- 1/2 small red onion diced
- 3/4 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley chopped
- 3/4 cup jarred roasted red peppers chopped
- 1 8 oz package mozzarella cheese balls, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
For the Italian vinaigrette:
- 6 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 1/2 cup good quality light olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. While it’s cooking, make sure all of your ingredients are washed, chopped and ready. Make the dressing by adding all of the ingredients to a bowl and whisk together or place in a lidded jar and shake well.
- When the pasta is done, drain and rinse under cold water. Add the pasta to a large bowl and add the rest of the ingredients. Pour the dressing over and toss well to coat.