You are going to love this healthy chocolate chip banana bread! It's got deep rich chocolate flavor oozing with melted chocolate chips, sweetness from the banana and it's a good-for-you treat! You can't beat a delicious and healthy dessert (or breakfast).
I recently published my first annual reader survey and an overwhelming amount of you requested healthy recipes and breakfast recipes. I like the way you guys think ?.
It's a good thing I love healthy breakfasts and desserts too.
I was listening loud and clear and instantly started making a list of all of the recipes I wanted to make that fit some of the buckets you guys really wanted to see. The first on the list was this healthy chocolate chip banana bread.
I had to make another banana recipe! Banana is such a hit because it's the best ingredient to use in healthy baking recipes. That's because it's naturally sweet and moist and makes baked goods sweet and moist too. Such a great ingredient!
So besides the banana, what other ingredients make this chocolate chip banana bread healthy?
How to Make Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Healthy:
Healthy chocolate chip banana bread is made with the same methods as traditional banana bread. You start with the mashing of the bananas then add the rest of the ingredients until you have a thick and sweet banana bread batter.
The best part about banana bread and this healthy chocolate chip banana bread is that you don't need a mixer or extra bowl to make it happen. One bowl, a spoon and a fork is all you need.
What sets this healthy chocolate chip banana bread apart is the list of healthier ingredients that make this recipe so delicious:
Greek Yogurt: Greek yogurt adds moisture and a little extra protein. The tangy flavor is the perfect addition to the sweetness in this recipe with a perfectly balance taste as a result. For this recipe (and most recipes) I recommend using full-fat or 2% plain greek yogurt. None of that fat free or flavored stuff. The fat and plain flavoring is the perfect addition to this chocolate chip banana bread.
Coconut Oil: The coconut oil in this recipe is the substitute for butter or oil in a traditional banana bread recipe. It's typically used in vegan desserts but works so well in healthy baking recipes and even indulgent recipes. If you don't mind a slight coconut flavor you can use unrefined coconut oil in this recipe. If you don't want any coconut oil go with the refined kind.
Honey: Honey is the other way this recipe is sweetened up. Along with the banana, this chocolate chip banana bread has the perfect amount of sweetness. Spray your measuring cup with non-stick spray before you measure the honey so it comes out nice and easy!
Whole Wheat Flour: Whole wheat flour is the healthier all-purpose substitute in this recipe. You're getting some whole wheat in your breakfast/dessert. WIN
If all those healthier ingredients aren't enough to make you want to make this recipe, I think all those chocolate chips may do the trick?.
Healthy Chocolate Chip Banana BreadPRINT RECIPE PIN RECIPE
- 3 very ripe banans
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk room temperature
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil melted and slightly cooled
- ⅓ cup plain greek yogurt
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup pure honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips optional
- Position the oven rack in the center and preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a standard loaf pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas with a fork until almost smooth, but a few lumps are okay. Add the egg and egg yolk, whisk until combined then whisk in the coconut oil and greek yogurt.
- Once combined, whisk in the brown sugar, honey and vanilla. Add the baking soda, baking powder, and salt and using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, stir until combined. Slowly stir in the flour and cocoa powder, being careful not to over mix. Add the dark chocolate chips if using them and fold until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared bread pan and bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Check the bread around the 40 minutes to ensure it isn't over browning. If the bread is browning too much around the edged cover with foil and place back in the oven to finish baking.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack for about 20 minutes then remove from pan and allow to cool completely before cutting.
- Bread is stored well in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pays me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting What Molly Made!