With the right ingredients, pecan pie can be made gluten-free and Paleo. It's so delicious and easy to make, you will never eat store-bought again!
I made this chocolate caramel tart a few years back and to this day it's one of the most popular recipes on my site. Every time I post it on instagram, everyone loves it!
This paleo pecan pie is made with a salted caramel pecan pie filling on the top. The rich chocolate ganache underneath the gooey and crunchy pecan topping makes the best flavor and texture. No one will know it's completely free of grains.
Paleo pecan pie ingredients
- unsweetened coconut flakes
- almond flour
- coconut flour
- coconut oil
- maple syrup
- full fat canned coconut milk
- dark chocolate
- coconut sugar
- pure vanilla extract
- pecan halves
The filling in traditional pecan pie is butter, eggs, pecans and sugar (usually corn syrup). However, this recipe tastes the same as traditional pecan pie, we're just using healthier alternatives to make this a paleo pecan pie.
How to you make a sugar free pecan pie
Though a completely sugar free pecan pie recipe may be lackluster, a refined sugar free pecan pie is definitely doable! And delicious! There isn't any processed sugar in it like white sugar or corn syrup.
Instead, we're using natural sweeteners like maple syrup and coconut sugar.
Is pecan pie really bad for you?
In my opinion, I wouldn't say traditional pecan pie is the greatest for you. But I'm also a believer in balance. Which is why I like to indulge in paleo pecan pie! It tastes just as great as traditional pecan pie, but it doesn't have the refined sugar, which can cause inflammation.
How to make paleo pecan pie
- Pecan pie caramel filling: Heat coconut milk and coconut sugar over high eat in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, then reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15-20 minutes. Allow the caramel to cool for one hour while you make the rest of the pie.
- Pie crust: Start by pulsing together the coconut flakes, coconut flour, almond flour and sea salt in the bowl of a food processor. Next, add melted coconut oil and maple syrup then pulse until completely combined and dough starts to form. Press the crust into the bottom and sides of a tart pan and place in the freezer until you finish the chocolate layer.
- Chocolate ganache: Heat the canned coconut milk in the microwave add the chocolate and let stand for 2-3 minutes so the chocolate warms and softens. Stir together until smooth then pour the mixture over frozen crust. Place it back in the freezer for 30 minutes until set.
- Bake: When the caramel from step 1 is cooled, mix the caramel with the eggs, vanilla, sea salt, cinnamon and chopped pecans. Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F for 55-65 minutes.
How to make this paleo pecan pie crust:
This paleo pecan pie crust is a little different than traditional paleo pie crusts. I find traditional pie crusts tend to be tedious and time consuming so I wanted to create a crust that is super easy to make and only takes a few minutes too.
Start by pulsing together the coconut flakes, coconut flour, almond flour and sea salt in the bowl of a food processor. Next, add melted coconut oil and maple syrup then pulse until completely combined and dough starts to form.
Press the crust into the bottom and sides of a tart pan and place in the freezer until you finish the chocolate layer.
This paleo pecan pie is so rich and it will be the perfect addition to your Thanksgiving spread! I can't wait for you to make it!
If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. You can also tag me on Instagram so I can see it!
More Thanksgiving desserts
Chocolate Paleo Pecan Pie
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 1/2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 10 ounces dark chocolate
Pecan Pie Filling
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- Start by making the caramel layer. In a medium saucepan, whisk together the coconut milk and coconut sugar over high heat. Watch constantly to avoid boil over. Bring to a boil, stirring or whisking, then lower the to medium-low to simmer. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally to avoid any burning or boiling over, for 15-20 minutes or until it’s reduced and a deep caramel color. Allow to cool for at least 45 minutes, until the crust and chocolate layer are complete.
- While it’s cooling, make the crust. In the bowl of a food processor, combine the coconut flakes, almond meal, coconut flour and salt. Pulse to combine. In a small microwave safe bowl, melt the coconut oil and maple syrup together. Pour into the food processor and pulse until well mixed.
- Press the crust into the bottom and sides of a 9-inch tart or pie pan. Use the flat bottom of a cup or measuring cup to press the crust down firmly. Place in the freezer.
- While it’s freezing, make the chocolate layer. Place the canned coconut milk in a medium microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 1-2 minutes, or until bubbling. Add the chocolate to the coconut milk and let stand for 2-3 minutes so the chocolate warms and softens. Whisk together until smooth. Pour chocolate ganache over frozen crust. Place back in the freezer for 30 minutes until set.
- While the chocolate layer is freezing, make the pecan caramel layer. Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Whisk the eggs into the cooled caramel one at a time until smooth. Then stir in the sea salt, vanilla, cinnamon and chopped pecans. Pour filling over chocolate layer crust, then arrange pecan halves on the top of the pie however you’d like.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 60-65 minutes, until center is set and crust is golden brown. Check the pie around 50 minutes to avoid burning. If it’s getting to brown, create a foil tent to place on top and place back in the oven to finish baking.
- Once it’s set, allow pie to cool completely at room temperature. For easy slicing, cool completely then place in the freezer before slicing.