Learn how to make this paleo coconut whipped cream! You will not believe how easy it is and that you only need three ingredients. Plus it's dairy free, refined sugar free, paleo and vegan.
Did you know you can make delicious whipped cream from coconut milk? Whether you're lactose intolerant, vegan or looking to adopt a healthier lifestyle, or you just want something delicious, this recipe is for you!
I know what you're thinking. Vegan whipped cream? What kind of off the wall ingredients am I going to have to buy at Whole Foods to make this happen? I feel ya. Been there. Then, I decided to start experimenting with dairy free alternatives and turns out, they were right under my nose!
Literally. I'm in the baking aisle every other day gathering the usual suspects: chocolate chips, vanilla extract and pecans and there on the shelf is canned coconut milk. Sitting there this whole time! Why have I never focused on how to coconut whipped cream before? Because you only need 2 other ingredients to make this recipe happen.
Ingredients for paleo whipped cream:
- Coconut milk. Not to be confused with the milk you buy in the dairy aisle. You buy this canned coconut milk in the baking section. Usually buy the sweetened condensed and evaporated milk. I use the Thai Coconut brand.
- Sweetener. Depending on your taste you have a couple of options. The three I recommend using are pure maple syrup, agave or powdered sugar.
- Vanilla. This is standard, but you really can't have a frosting recipe without it. It adds a subtle flavor and depth!
And that's all it takes. Three ingredients and you'll be whipping up coconut whipped cream in no time.
How to make paleo coconut whipped cream:
First step: chill everything!
Start by chilling the coconut milk. Chill the coconut milk overnight (12 hours), or better yet, an entire day if you have time.
The reason you need to chill the coconut milk is because the coconut milk is made up of two things: fatty coconut cream and coconut water. When you chill the can the coconut cream and coconut water separate. This is a good thing! We will only be using the coconut cream in this recipe.
Second step: scoop and whip!
Once the coconut milk is chilled, open the can and and scoop the coconut cream from the top and place it in the prepared bowl. Next, use a hand mixer or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment to whip the coconut cream on medium to high speed for at least 3 minutes, until light and fluffy.
Third step: sweeten it up!
Next, add your favorite sweetener! My favorite options are maple syrup, agave and powdered sugar. If you're keeping this recipe strictly paleo, I'd go with the pure maple syrup.
The last ingredient to this step is vanilla extract! Don't forget that, it adds lots of yummy flavor. After that, you've learned how to make coconut whipped cream!
As a reminder: this coconut whipped cream is heat sensitive, very similar to regular whipped cream. If you aren't serving it right away keep it stored in the fridge. However, make sure to pull it out of the fridge at least an hour in advance of serving as it will start to get thicker and harden the longer it's stored.
One of the reasons I love this recipe is because it's such a standard healthy frosting recipe that's gluten free, vegan, paleo, sugar free and so much more! It's such a classic.
From fresh lemon to chocolate and cinnamon, adding additional flavor is super easy. Just add your flavoring in with (or instead of) the vanilla extract and whip it up.
No matter how you do it, using this guide for how to make paleo coconut whipped cream will help you impress all yo' friends.
What to use paleo coconut whipped cream for:
I really hope this post helped learn more about and learn how to make coconut whipped cream! It's made a huge difference in my healthy baking and I hope it will help you make yummy treats too!
- 2 14 ounce cans full fat coconut milk (I used Thai Kitchen)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar agave or pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chill the can of coconut milk in the fridge for at least 12 hours, 24 hours is recommended. About 1 hour before making the coconut whipped cream, chill a mixing bowl and beaters in the freezer.
- Once chilled, open the can and scoop the solid white coconut cream into the bowl. The coconut water will have settled at the bottom. Discard it or save it for another use.
- Using an electric hand mixer or stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the cream on medium high speed until fluffy and smooth, approximately 3 minutes.
- Add the sweetener and vanilla and beat again until combined.
- Store the coconut whipped cream in the refrigerator until ready to use. It will be firm when chilled and will soften again at room temperature. Keep in the fridge for up to one week or in the freezer for up to one month.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE!? SNAP A PIC AND TAG @WHAT_MOLLYMADE AND USE #WHATMOLLYMADE!
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pays me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting What Molly Made!