Healthy cranberry meatballs slow cooker
Set your crock pot for these homemade healthy cranberry meatballs! These make a great fall dinner or the perfect Thanksgiving appetizer. This version is healthier and gluten free so everyone can enjoy them!
For the meatballs:
- 1 ½ pound ground beef or chicken
- 2/3 cup tapioca flour
- 2 large egg
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the sauce:
- 2 cups fresh cranberry sauce homemade for paleo version
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup sugar free ketchup (I like primal palate)
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 5 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper- optional
- Fresh chopped parsley, orange zest or herbs to garnish
Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine ground chicken, tapioca flour, egg, garlic powder, onion powder, green onions, salt and pepper. Using a wooden spoon or clean hands, stir until well combined. Using a spoon or your hands, roll the meatball mixture into 1 1/4-to-1 1/2-inch meatballs, forming about 24 meatballs. Mixture will be sticky. Add some extra tapioca flour to your hands to help from sticking.
Place meatballs onto prepared baking sheet and bake for 4-5 minutes, or until all sides are browned.
While the meatballs are browning, make the sauce. Add all the sauce ingredients to the crock pot and stir. Place meatballs into a slow cooker. Add prepared buffalo sauce and gently toss to combine. Cover and cook on low heat for 2 hours.
Could also use frozen party meatballs (may not be gluten free). If using, place frozen meatballs in the crockpot with the sauce and cook on high for 2 hours or low for 3-4 hours.
Check ingredients for store-bought cranberry sauce. Make your own for healthier version.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 215kcal | Carbohydrates: 17.6g | Protein: 22.3g | Fat: 5.5g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 98mg | Sodium: 266mg | Fiber: 1.2g | Sugar: 2.8g