Vegan Banana Cream Pie
Vegan Banana Cream Pie features layers of a crunchy crust, fresh sliced bananas and extra creamy vanilla pudding. Top with a layer of fluffy coconut whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
Servings: 8 slices
Cookie pie crust
- 30-40 (about 2 bags/boxes) grain free, vegan crunchy cookies like Siete Mexican shortbread cookies or Enjoy Life Honey Graham Cookies *see notes for non-gluten free option
- 1/4 cup vegan butter or melted coconut oil
Vegan vanilla pudding
- 1 ½ cups canned coconut cream
- 1 ¼ cups coconut or almond milk
- ½ cup cornstarch
- ⅓ cup granulated cane sugar or coconut sugar*
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter or coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- Pinch of turmeric, for color (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2-3 ripe bananas sliced
Coconut Whipped Topping (can use store bought)
- 2 cups coconut cream chilled
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, agave or pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- Dark chocolate bar for shaving
Cookie pie crust
Grease a 9-inch springform pan or a deep dish pie pan with non-stick spray then preheat the oven to 350°F.
Add the cookies to the bowl of a food processor or high speed blender and pulse a few times to create a crumb. Pour in the melted butter or coconut oil and pulse again a few times until the mixture resembles wet sand.
Press the crust into the bottom and sides of the prepared pan. I recommend using a small measuring cup to press firmly down on the bottom and into the sides.
Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes then remove it to a wire rack to cool.
Vegan vanilla pudding
While the crust is baking and cooling, make the vanilla pudding. Add all of the ingredients to a medium saucepan without heating. Whisk them together until the clumps are gone and the cornstarch is dissolved and the mixture is smooth.
Place the saucepan over medium heat and cook the mixture for 5-7 minutes, stirring almost constantly, until the pudding thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. It should leave small ribbons of custard on the surface when you lift the whisk out of the saucepan.
Remove the saucepan from the stove and cool for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Arrange banana slices in an even layer over the cookie crust so they’re touching, then pour the slightly cooled pudding on top and spread it out into an even layer.
Cover with plastic wrap so that it touches the pudding and refrigerate for 2-4 hours or until cold. This prevents any sort of film to form on the custard. You could also freeze it for an hour or so if you’re in a rush.
Coconut whipped topping (optional if using store bought)
Add the chilled coconut cream to a medium glass bowl with a hand mixer or the stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
Beat the cream on medium high speed until slightly fluffy and smooth, approximately 3 minutes. Add the powdered sugar or maple syrup and vanilla and beat again until combined.
Assemble and serve
Remove the chilled vegan banana cream pie from the fridge or freezer and spread the coconut whipped cream on top. Use a hand peeler to shave the chocolate bar over the coconut whipped cream.
Serve right away or cover and store in the fridge for up to 2 days until you’re ready to serve.
- Non gluten-free crust: if you don't care, or can't find, grain free cookies, use golden Oreos instead. You should only need 1 package, or about 20 cookies.
- Make-ahead: prep the crust up to 5 days in advance and make the crust and pudding up to 3 days in advance. Cover the pudding with plastic wrap so that it's touching the surface. No one wants a weird film on the top of the pudding! Top with cream and serve when you're ready.
- To freeze: cover the pudding with plastic wrap then wrap the entire vegan banana cream pie in foil and store in the freezer for up to 2 months. Allow it to thaw in the fridge or at room temp then top with coconut whipped cream and chocolate shavings before serving.
- The vegan pudding is adapted from Rainbow Nourishments vegan custard.
Serving: 1large slice | Calories: 528kcal | Carbohydrates: 49.9g | Protein: 3.3g | Fat: 12.2g | Sodium: 349.3mg | Fiber: 1.3g | Sugar: 32.3g | Vitamin A: 162IU | Vitamin C: 2.6mg