Instant Pot Chicken Enchiladas
These easy Instant Pot Chicken Enchiladas are filled with tender chicken then topped with enchilada sauce and cheese that melts and bubble in the oven.
Servings: 6 (2 enchiladas each)
- 2 tablespoons avocado or olive oil divided
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 small yellow onion sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups homemade red enchilada sauce or your favorite store bought (i.e Siete) divided
- 1 cup black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup canned corn drained
- 12 corn or grain free tortillas (or 9 flour tortillas)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey jack cheese cheddar cheese or Mexican cheese *see notes for dairy free
- toppings: cilantro lime juice, sour cream, tomatoes, avocado,
Make the filling
Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray a 9x13 inch casserole dish with non stick spray and set aside.
Pouor 1 tablespoon of avocado oil or olive oil to the Instant Pot and set it to saute mode. Season both sides of the chicken with kosher salt, chili powder and cumin and use your fingers to rub it in.
When the oil is hot, add the chicken breast and sear on both sides for about 2 minutes. It doesn’t need to cook all the way, it’s just to create a crispy brown crust.
Remove the seared chicken to a cutting board or plate and add the remaining oil to the bottom of the Instant Pot. Add the sliced onion and stir to cook and sweat the onions until they’re translucent then add the garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
Place the chicken on top then add 1 1/2 cups of the enchilada sauce and stir to combine. Close the lid and make sure the vent is set to the sealing position. Pressure cook (manual cook) on high pressure for 8 minutes (11 minutes for frozen chicken breast). When the time is up, turn the vent to let the steam out immediately. I like to use a wooden spoon to turn the valve and place a kitchen towel over the steam.
Fill and bake
Open the lid and carefully remove the chicken to a cutting board. Use two forks to shred the chicken then place it back in the Instant Pot with the black bean and corn then stir to combine.
Place the tortillas on a microwave safe plate and cover with a damp paper towel. Warm in the microwave for about 30 seconds to make them soft and more pliable.
Pour another 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce into the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle 1 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese to each tortilla then top evenly with the shredded chicken. Roll the enchiladas tightly and arrange in the baking dish. Top with the reamining cup of enchilada sauce and more shredded cheese or the vegan cheese.
Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, until melted and bubbly. Serve warm and garnish with your favorite toppings.
- Make ahead: make the filling up to three days in advance and store it in the fridge. Stuff and bake the enchiladas when you're ready to serve. You can also roll up the enchiladas and cover them in foil then top with more sauce and cheese right before baking.
- Storage: allow any leftover to cool completely then store in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- To freeze: Make the enchiladas all the way through, including topping them with cheese. Cover them in plastic wrap then foil and freezer for up to 3 months. Remove the plastic wrap and bake them from frozen at 350°F for 30 minutes then remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Dairy-free: omit the cheese inside and on top of the enchiladas and pour our cashew queso on top before serving.
- Add more veggies: add a sliced bell peppers to the filling when you saute the onion.
Serving: 2enchiladas | Calories: 496kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 39g | Fat: 20.1g | Cholesterol: 110mg | Sodium: 1260mg | Fiber: 7.4g | Sugar: 4.8g | Vitamin A: 159.5IU | Vitamin C: 4.4mg