Easy Sweet Potato Beef Taco Skillet
Use one pan to make this healthy taco skillet featuring ground beef, tender sweet potatoes and all the best taco topping.
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon EACH: garlic powder, paprika, and onion powder
- 2 tablespoons avocado or olive oil divided
- 3/4 cup (1 medium) yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4-5 cups (2 large) sweet potatoes peeled and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 15 ounces (1 can) can fire roasted tomatoes
- 4.5 ounces (1 can) can green chiles
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese or cashew queso*
Brown the beef
Mix all of the taco seasonings together in a small bowl and set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a deep saute pan or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the diced onion and cook, stirring frequently to soften. Add the minced garlic and cook for another minute, until fragrant.
Add the ground beef and cook to break it up slightly then add 3/4 of the prepared taco seasoning. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until no pink remains and the temperature reaches 165°F. Remove the beef and onions to a plate. Drain the pan and use a paper towel to wipe any brown bits off the bottom of the pan.
Make the Sweet Potatoes
Drizzle another tablespoon of oil into the pan then add the diced sweet potatoes and the remaining seasoning over medium heat and cook, stirring frequently, until they’re fork tender, 10-15 minutes. Add more oil as needed if they seem to dry. They should be slightly brown on the outside and tender in the middle.
Pour in the fire roasted tomatoes and green chiles and stir well to combine. Turn the heat up to medium-high and allow the mixture too bubble for 5 minutes.
- Dairy Free: Omit the cheese or top it with our vegan cashew queso.
- Meal prep: Prep/chop all of the vegetables in advance or you could make the dish all the way through, leaving off the cheese, then heat over the stove and melt the cheese when you're ready.
- To store: Allow it to cool completely then store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Reheat: Place the taco skillet back in a pan over medium high heat and stir until heated through. You can also microwave it on high to heat through.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 408kcal | Carbohydrates: 36.7g | Protein: 27.8g | Fat: 16.3g | Cholesterol: 76.7mg | Sodium: 779mg | Fiber: 7.1g | Sugar: 9.3g