Spicy Chicken Chipotle Pasta (Copycat)
Chipotle adds a spicy kick to an easy and healthy pasta dish. Learn how to make this copycat Cheesecake Factory Spicy Chicken Chipotle Pasta easily at home in one pot.
Servings: 6 people
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or butter divided
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts trimmed and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 12 ounces penne pasta or other short cut pasta (we used gluten free)
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons sauce from chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (in a can)
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream or coconut cream (dairy free)
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast (dairy free)
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/2 lb asparagus woody ends removed and cut into 2-3 inch pieces
- Garnish: cilantro and tortilla tortilla strips
Honey glazed chicken:
Dice the chicken and season generously with kosher salt. Heat 1 tablespoons of avocado oil or butter in a deep saute pan over medium heat. Once the oil is hot and rippling, add the chicken chunks and stir to sear the sides until golden brown.
Turn the heat down to medium low and add the the honey, coating the chicken and letting it glaze the chicken. When the chicken is completely cooked, remove it to a separate plate or bowl.
Pasta and cream sauce:
Add the other tablespoon of avocado oil to the pan and scrape any bits off the bottom of the pan. Add the onion and diced peppers and cook over medium heat until softened and fragrant. Add the garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
Pour the uncooked pasta and chicken broth into the pan and stir gently. Cover with a lid and turn the heat up to medium-high to bring to a boil then reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 6-7 minutes or until the pasta is just al dente. Open the lid and stir occasionally to avoid any burning on the bottom of the pan.
Open the lid and add the chipotle adobo sauce, coconut cream (or heavy cream), and nutritional yeast (or parmesan cheese) and stir to combine. Finish by adding the peas and chopped asparagus on top, without stirring. Close the lid and steam for 3-4 minutes until the asparagus is tender.
Add the cooked chicken on top then remove from the heat. Top with cilantro and crushed tortilla chips.
- To prep-ahead: This recipe is all made in one dish so cooking anything in advance is hard. Prep all of the ingredients in advance, like chopping the onion and peppers, dicing the chicken and cutting the celery. This will save a lot of time when you go to make it.
- To store: allow the pasta to cool completely then place it in an air-tight container in the fridge for 3-5 days.
- To reheat: add the pasta back to a large pot over medium heat and cook until heated through. You can also warm individual bowls in the microwave for a few minutes.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 614kcal | Carbohydrates: 62g | Protein: 38.7g | Fat: 9.1g | Cholesterol: 85.6mg | Sodium: 846.9mg | Fiber: 5.2g | Sugar: 14.9g