Maple Cinnamon Roasted Butternut Squash
Roasted butternut squash is a sweet, savory and delicious way to prepare this classic fall ingredient. Learn how to cut butternut squash, roast it and use it in your favorite recipes like soup, salads or sides.
- 1 large 3 lb butternut squash, peeled and diced into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Preheat the oven to 400°F and arrange the racks to the top and bottom positions. Line two large baking sheets with foil or a silpat mat and set aside. You can also spray the baking sheet with nonstick spray
Cut the ends off of the butternut squash then use a vegetable peeler to remove the skin. Cut the squash in half lengthwise, scoop out the insides and cut into 1-inch cubes. See recipe post for step by step image instructions.
Divide the squash evenly between the two prepared baking pans. Drizzle each with olive oil and pure maple syrup then sprinkle with cinnamon, salt and pepper.
Place each pan on it's own rack in the oven then roast for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, stir both sheet pans and switch positions so the squash roasting at the bottom is now on the top rack. Bake for another 20-25 minutes until the butternut squash is fork-tender and the outsides start to turn golden brown and sizzle.
How to reheat roasted butternut squash:
Freezer instructions: Allow the roasted butternut squash to completely cool then place in an air tight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Allow to thaw overnight in the fridge then follow your choice of instructions above to reheat.
- Oven: place the cooked squash back on a baking sheet and roast at 350°F for 20-30 minutes or until warmed all the way through.
- Stovetop: Add the squash to a large skillet and warm over medium heat.
- Microwave: Add squash to a bowl and microwave on high in 30 second increments until warmed all the way through.
Serving: 12cup | Calories: 96kcal | Carbohydrates: 18.6g | Protein: 1.4g | Fat: 2.9g | Sodium: 238.5mg | Fiber: 2.7g | Sugar: 1.4g