Coconut Curry Chicken
In 20 minutes or less, you'll have easy coconut curry chicken on the table! This healthy dinner is dairy and gluten free!
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil separated
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger minced
- 3 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 large red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 can full fat canned coconut milk
- Juice from 1/2 a lime
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup omit for whole30 option
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour
- To serve: fresh chopped cilantro basmati rice or cauliflower rice
Combine the coriander, turmeric, cumin, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Add the cubed chicken and toss to coat. Set aside.
Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and allow to melt and get hot then add the diced onion. Cook, stirring frequently, until soft and translucent, 3-4 minutes. Add the minced garlic, grated ginger and red curry paste and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Add one more tablespoon of coconut oil then add the sliced bell pepper. Cook for 1-2 minutes until the pepper is starting to soften. Add the seasoned cubes of chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the chicken is browned on all sides. It does not need to be cooked all the way through.
Add the coconut milk, lime juice and maple syrup and stir until the sauce thickens a bit and chicken is cooked all the way through, 3-5 minutes. It should reach an internal temperature of 165°F.
Remove 2 tablespoons of the sauce into a small bowl and add the tapioca flour. Mix well until it is dissolved then pour it back into the curry. Stir and heat for 2-3 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 281kcal | Carbohydrates: 10.3g | Protein: 27.5g | Fat: 13.5g | Cholesterol: 82.7mg | Sodium: 900mg | Fiber: 2.6g | Sugar: 4.1g