This is the best healthy chicken soup recipe! With healing and immune-boosting ingredients, this recipe for chicken soup will warm your soul and make you feel great.
I love healthy soup! I made this low carb vegetable soup last week and decided I needed another soup recipe in my life. This healthy chicken soup is a must-make!
I never get sick of soul-warming, cozy chicken soup, especially when it's healthy and helps your immune system too.
This recipe for chicken and rice soup is so healthy because it's filled with superfood ingredients.
Some of the ingredients in this healthy chicken soup include:
- Bone broth or chicken broth! I used bone broth because it's really rich in protein and it's great for your joints and gut, but you can totally use chicken stock if you don't have bone broth handy.
- Turmeric gives it a beautiful, deep yellow color. It's a great anti-oxidant, it's anti-inflammatory, it's helpful for arthritis and it's brain boosting.
- Fresh ginger adds some delicious flavor and ginger is also known to regulate blood sugar, relieve joint pain and ease inflammation.
- Lots of veggies including carrots, celery, peas and onions. I'm always trying to find ways to add veggies to my diet:)
Is Homemade Chicken Soup Good For You?
Yes, in most cases homemade chicken soup is good for you! I opted to use brown rice in the recipe instead of noodles so it's gluten free too.
This healthy chicken soup really is just that! It's got so many delicious and healthy ingredients you will feel so great after eating it. Not to mention it's so cozy and delicious!
Don't be intimidated by the fresh ginger or turmeric in this recipe. The ginger is in the product section usually near the fresh garlic. I got a little piece for 50 cents:) Also, ground turmeric is great in so many other recipes like smoothies, teas, milks and more you can ruse it.
If you make this recipe don't forget to tag me on Instagram with @What_MollyMade or #WhatMollyMade so I can see and feature you!
How to Make the Best Healthy Chicken Soup:
The Best Healthy Chicken Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 3 large carrots thinly sliced
- 3 celery stalks roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons freshly chopped rosemary
- 2 teaspoon freshly chopped thyme
- 6 cups bone broth or organic chicken broth
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast or turkey breast
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Add olive oil to a large dutch oven or stock pot over medium-high heat. Allow to heat for a few minutes then add the garlic, onion, carrots and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes or until onion becomes translucent.
- Add the grated ginger, turmeric salt and pepper and saute to combine. Once combined, add the rosemary, thyme and bone or chicken broth. Stir briefly to mix then add the uncooked chicken to the pot. Adjust and stir to make sure the chicken is completely covered by the liquid.
- Turn heat up to high and allow the soup to come to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered for 25-30 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked reaching an internal temperature of 165°F.
- While the chicken is cooking, make the brown rice. Place one cup of brown rice with one cup of water in a large bowl. Microwave on high heat for 7 minutes or follow directions on the back of the box to cook on the stove top. Set aside.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove it with a slotted spoon and transfer to a cutting board. Using two forks, shred the chicken and place back in the soup. Add the brown rice and frozen peas and stir well to combine. Serve with fresh herbs.
- Store in an air tight container for up to one week or in the freezer for up to five days.
This recipe was inspired by Ambitious Kitchen!