These steak and potato foil packets are a quick and easy summer recipe for the grill! This healthy recipe is filled with assorted veggies, sweet potatoes and steak and is tossed with fresh herbs and garlic. It’s a great recipe for parties and entertaining!
Happy summer everyone! Today is the official FIRST day of summer and I couldn’t kick it off any other way than with an easy grilling recipe.
Zach and I love to cook out during the summer. So many days during the week (and weekend!) we grab all the veggies in our fridge and a few steaks and throw them on the grill for an easy and healthy recipe.
I wanted to switch things up and do some steak and potato foil packets, especially with 4th of July and summer entertaining coming up!
I recently had the honor of attending a trip with Ohio Beef to learn even more about beef and the industry. We spent an entire day learning grilling tips and tricks then we went out to a cattle ranch and feed lot to learn even more about the industry and process.
I learned SO much, met so many amazing people and came back with a fully belly, happy heart and tons more knowledge in my brain. I wanted to share some of my favorite beef and grilling tips with you since we’re making a steak recipe today!
Top beef and grilling tips
- Always use a thermometer to check doneness for any cut of steak
- All beef needs rest time after it hits temp so create foil tent to keep it warm and let it rest
- The longer you cook it the more water you take out of it which makes it dry
- Try to salt your steak and beef at the end
- Medium rare is 135°F. Once it reaches that temp, take off, cover and let rise to 145°F
- When beef is stuck to grill it’s not quite ready to flip
- As a general rule, cook steaks 4-5 minutes on each side for each inch of steak
- Some of the best cuts for grilling include: Strip Steak, Flank and Ribeye
Here are even more grilling guidelines if you need a few extra pointers!
After we learned all about steaks and grilling we hit the road to visit a cattle ranch. I always see so many beef farms while driving through Ohio so it was so cool to finally stop and visit a farm. There are 17,000 beef farming families in Ohio, and 98 percent are family farms. Beef cattle can be found in every Ohio county. I love being able to see where the food I’m eating comes from!
I made these steak and potato foil packs soon after I got home and knew I needed to share this recipe for all of you, especially with 4th of July coming up!
What’s in steak and potato foil packets?
- top sirloin steak
- assorted veggies including: peppers, onion, broccoli and more
- sweet potatoes
- fresh herbs like thyme and parsley
This is a super easy recipe to customize as well! Whatever veggies you have in your fridge are perfect to throw on the grill. The fresh herbs add such a bright and fresh flavor that everyone will love!
These foil packets with steak and potatoes are my new summer go-to! And in under 20 minutes you can have a full meal for everyone!
If you love this recipe as much as me, please don’t forget to tag me on Instagram with #WhatMollyMade or @what_mollymade so I can see and feature you!
This post was sponsored by Ohio Beef Council. All thoughts and opinions are my own! A huge shout out to them for helping me so I continue to create free and delicious recipes for all of you!
Steak and Potato Foil Packets
- 2 medium sweet potatoes cut into small chunks
- 2 carrots sliced
- 1 red bell pepper cubed
- 1 green bell pepper cubed
- 1 small red onion cubed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds top sirloin steak cut into one inch cubes
Garlic Herb Mixture:
- 1/4 cup coconut oil or butter room temperature
- ¼ cup freshly chopped parsley
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In a medium bowl add the sweet potatoes, carrots, bell peppers, and red onion. Add salt and pepper and toss with olive oil.
- Place 6 large pieces of heavy aluminum foil on the counter and evenly place vegetable mixture on top of each piece of foil. Top vegetables with cubed steak and set aside.
- To make the garlic herb mixture, add the coconut oil or butter, parsley, garlic, rosemary, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Divide mixture evenly and place a scoop on top of the steak. Fold the top and sides of the foil, leaving space for steam to rise inside.
- Allow grill to heat then place packets on the grill and close the cover. Grill for 12-15 minutes or until steak is cooked through and veggies are tender. Carefully open packets and serve.
- If you want distinct grill marks, throw the cubed steak on a grill pan for a few minutes prior to adding to the foil packets.