This recipe gives me all the feels.
Homemade applesauce can sound a bit daunting of a task, but I promise it’s worth it. It’s like pure love and joy go into this hearty dish. Especially since the kielbasa part is so simple. You literally buy it from the store and cut it up. That’s it.
There’s just something about the cinnamon and apple flavors with the kielbasa on top of the salty and buttery cracker that makes people keep coming back for more.
Kielbasa and Homemade Applesauce
- 2 lbs Kielbasa cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 white Italian onion chopped fine
- 6 Granny Smith Apples peeled cored & sliced
- 6 Macintosh Apples peeled cored & sliced
- 2 Naval oranges – juice and zest
- 1 lemon – juice and zest
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon AllSpice
- 1 box Ritz Crackers
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Mix apples, orange, lemon, brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice and Kielbasa together in a casserole baking dish.
- Cover and bake for about 2 hours or until apples turn into “sauce” consistency, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with Ritz Crackers.