A sundae, brownie and cupcake all wrapped up into one.
Seriously. I love birthdays. We celebrated my friend Sam’s birthday over the weekend and I firmly believe they are the best days. We are celebrating the birth of our loved ones. That’s massive. If that day never happened, they wouldn’t be there. And wouldn’t be able to enjoy these outrageously delicious brownies with me.
You’re going to be amazed at how easy, yet so tasty these HOT FUDGE SUNDAE BROWNIES are. They’re rich, dense fudgy brownies made in cupcake holders. But the best part is the fun and festive decorations!
It looks so complicated and you will undoubtedly impress anyone you make these for. But, they really aren’t hard! I used a box brownie mix for these because I was really focusing on the aesthetics of this recipe. And they’re so good. I think it’s because they remind me of my grandpa. He swears they’re box brownies are the best brownies ever. I may beg to differ, for that reason, you can absolutely make them from scratch if you so desire.
The ice cream cone is filled homemade hot fudge buttercream and topped with a limitless amount of rainbow sprinkles. I crunched up the leftovers from the cone I used in the brownie and added chocolate and sprinkles to put on top as another topping.
I was trying to find every possible way to use all of the ingredients, and the most amount of sprinkles! Let’s be real, sprinkles make brownies and birthdays (and life) so much better.
I wish I would have come up with this recipe years ago. As you most likely know by now, Chelsea and I have been best friends since we were 3. Which means we have now celebrated 22 birthdays together (44 if you count each of ours).
Her bday is in July and mine is in August so on our 16th birthdays our moms pulled out all the stops and helped us plan a joint party. Her mom even hired a local band from my high school to play some songs. It was the coolest.
Probably would have been cooler if we could have served these brownies. Like I mentioned above, we made homemade hot fudge butter cream, stuffed it inside an ice cream cone and then stuffed that in a brownie. WHAT?
- 1 box dark chocolate brownie mix (including ingredients listed on box i.e. eggs and oil)
- 1 package sugar cones
- 1 jar hot fudge
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- For the buttercream:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons hot fudge
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Mix the brownies based on the directions on the box. Spray cupcake liners with cooking spray and fill with two tablespoons of brownie batter. You will need to cook these at a different time than stated on the box - about 24 minutes.
- While in the oven, prepare a large baking sheet by covering with parchment paper. Cut sugar cones in half using kitchen scissors. Use half of the tops of the cone and half of the bottoms of the cone. Crunch up the remaining cones on the prepared baking sheet and spread out
- Melt the semi sweet chocolate chips in the microwave in 30 second increments until melted. Drizzle chocolate and sprinkles over cone pieces, but leave some chocolate and sprinkles in the bowl.
- With the leftover melted chocolate, dip the outer rim of the top of the cones and the pointy part of the end of the cones into the chocolate and then into sprinkles. Place them on the tray with the cones pieces and put it all in the freezer to hardened.
- When the brownies are done, immediately stick the cone halves in the center of the brownies. The tops and bottoms should both go in the brownie with the broken end.
- Add hot fudge into the inside of the brownies that are holding the top of the cones.
- While they are cooling, cream the butter for the frosting in a medium bowl using an electric mixer. Add the hot fudge and vanilla and mix until combined. Add the powdered sugar and mix until combined.
- When the brownies are completely cool, place the prepared frosting in a plastic bag and cut the tip. Pipe the frosting inside the cones and around the brownies with the cone ends.
- For the brownies with the cone tops, drizzle hot fudge around the outside of the cone onto the brownies. Add the prepared cone pieces from the freezer. For the brownies with the cone ends, top the frosting around the cone with the prepared cone pieces from the freezer.
- Serve immediately!