Author: Bests and Bites
- 3 - ¼ ounce packages unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup cool water, divided
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- ½ cup powdered sugar, divided
- Coat a 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the gelatin and ½ cup of the cool water. Let stand until soaked.
- While soaking, in a medium saucepan, mix together the rest of the cool water, granulated sugar, light corn syrup and salt and heat on medium until sugar is completely dissolved, about 5 minutes. Turn heat up to high and bring to a rapid boil for one minutes, without stirring. Mixture will foam and rise quickly and then fall and continue to simmer. Remove from the heat.
- Slowly pour the warm sugar mixture into the large bowl of gelatin while beating on low with a hand mixer. Increase speed to high and whip mixture until light and fluffy, about 10 minutes. Add vanilla and beat to combine.
- Using a greased rubber spatula, pour the mixture into the greased pan and spread out evenly. Sprinkle with ¼ cup powdered sugar and place in the refrigerator for 3 hours or overnight before cutting.
- Use a greased cookie cutter or knife to create shapes of marshmallows you desire.
- Place cut out marshmallows in a large bowl and sprinkle with remaining powdered sugar to coat. Store in an air tight container at room temperature for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 3 months.