These dark chocolate protein bars are so easy to make in your blender or food processor and they’re filled with raw and healthy ingredients. These gluten free protein bars are made with cashews, dark chocolate and filled with protein and coconut. This post is sponsored by Vital Proteins.
Remember when I told you we bought a house in my PB and J smoothie bowl post? And then I went on to tell you how crazy life has been with full weekends and how we don’t actually know when we’re going to move in. This is the story of how that’s going.
Zach’s mom came into town for 8 days and we really really wanted her to have a bed to sleep in so we found 3 free hours on Sunday to rent a moving truck and move our larger furniture that day. That night we got tacos, played Scategories and spent time with family. It was a perfect first night in our new home.
Then came the work week and I couldn’t find my jeans under the pile of clothes in our spare bedroom, I lost my keys no less than 5 times and I’ve been living on these protein bars ever since because our pots and pans are still in boxes. Though the last part completely ideal because these protein bars are so good!
Just yesterday we started hanging decor, looking at pieces of furniture we need online and we ordered a couch! I’m so ready for doing some serious couch patato activities. I’m feeling a Netflix binge with protein bars coming on. Any netflix recommendations?! We’re still in the market for a riding lawn mower and washer/dryer so if you have any recommendations for those too please send them our way!
We just today put all of our dishes, pots and pans and silverware away so we’ll be back to meal prepping each week and you better believe these delicious dark chocolate coconut protein bars are going to be on the menu.
But, since we’ve been pot and panless for the last week I’ve been eating smoothies at work, salads from Panera and fueling up on these dark chocolate coconut protein bars.
I’ve managed to still eat healthy amidst the craziness. I do have wedding dress shopping this weekend after all! Eating healthy with a crazy busy schedule is a skill of mine. That should be on my resume.
The key to eating healthy for me is making sure I’m prepared all the time and have a plan. I made these dark chocolate coconut protein bars before we moved and kept them in the freezer to eat whenever I needed.
These protein bars are made with raw, simple ingredients:
- cashews make up a good chunk of the base. You can use unsalted or salted cashews here. If you use unsalted add a little sea salt to the recipe!
- dark chocolate cocoa powder creates the dark color and depth of chocolate flavor.
- dates act as the glue to this recipe. They’re also naturally sweet so they add lots of sweetness with no refined sugar.
- coconut oil adds more coconut flavor and healthy fat to pull it all together.
- Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides (Vanilla and Coconut Water) adds the collagen protein that’s so good for your hair, skin and joints. It’s a double whammy with great flavor and lots of nutrients. I love knowing I’m getting all the extra nutrients that are so good for my body while I’m on the go!
- Mini chocolate chips add texture and extra chocolate. Double win here too!
And of course I can’t create a protein bar without a tasty topping! I melted some extra chocolate to drizzle on top and toasted unsweetened coconut for even more coconut flavor.
These two flavors make up the most tasty dark chocolate coconut protein bars! I love them because they’re super simple to make and are filled with all the healthy ingredients that serve our bodies well.
Stay tuned for a home tour of our new house and an update on wedding dress shopping! Follow me on Instagram this Friday afternoon and Saturday to see behind the stories of how it goes.
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut
- 1½ cup unsalted cashews
- 10 pitted dates
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons special dark coco powder
- 1 scoop Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides
- 2 tablespoons mini dark chocolate chips or cocoa nibs
- ¼ cup dark chocolate, melted
- Start by toasting the coconut. Preheat oven to 350°F and place the coconut on a baking sheet. Bake for 4 minutes then remove from the oven, stir and place back in the oven for 4-6 more minutes or until golden brown.
- Once toasted, make the protein bars. Cover a standard brad pan with plastic wrap and set aside.
- Add all of the ingredients except for the mini chocolate chips in the bowl of a food processor or blender. Blend on high for 2-4 minutes or until the mixture starts to pull away from the edges. Add mini chocolate chips and stir with a rubber spatula. Pour mixture into the prepared bread pan and pat down with spatula until firm. Place in the freezer for 1-2 hours.
- Once chilled, remove from the pan using the overhang from the plastic wrap and cut into long bars. Top bars with melted chocolate and reserved toasted coconut. Place bars in the freezer for approximately 30 minutes.
- Store in the fridge for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to a month.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE!? SNAP A PIC AND TAG @WHAT_MOLLYMADE AND USE #WHATMOLLYMADE!
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pays me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting What Molly Made!