Sweet and tart blood orange margaritas will take your cinco de mayo fiesta up to a whole new delicious level.
These blood orange margaritas are my favorite. HONESTLY.
I think my new favorite drink is a quality, authentic margarita. I’ve finally left my sangria-loving bubble and I’m so glad I did. If you didn’t know I’m obsessed with sangria from this Apple Cider Sangria, or Cranberry Apple Sangria, or this Raspberry Moscato Sangria, now you do?
BUT, I’ve decided I love margaritas equally as much. Frozen or on the rocks, I adore them all.
The sweetness from the fruit flavoring and the kick from the tequila pack a powerful punch that really does the trick on a Tuesday, I mean Saturday, night. PLUS the salt around the rim does me in. I love love love salt. I just can’t resist sweet and salty. And let me tell you, these Blood Orange Margaritas are just that.
I mean, look at that color? It’s just as gorgeous as it is delicious. You will no doubt impress all your amigo/a(s) at your cinco de mayo partayy. They’re so festive and fun and so easy to make a giant batch for a crowd. Or yourself, no judging here.??
If you do that, I recommend doubling (*cough* tripling *cough*) this recipe. The last thing you want to do is run out of margaritas on cinco de mayo. That would be a tragedy.
You start by making a blood orange simple syrup. This sounds a lot more complicated than it is! Throw equal parts water and sugar in a sauce pan with the juice of the blood oranges and let it boil for 10 minutes. When it’s done you have a blood orange infused syrup that gives these blood margaritas they’re gorgeous color and the delicious sweet and tart flavor.
Then comes the second most important part, the tequila! You can use your choice of tequila, just make sure it’s good quality! Then add some orange liqour, a little lime juice and blend it up. Garnish with salt and a lime and you have the perfect blood orange margaritas.
If you like your margs frozen, throw the same ingredients in the blender with ice cubes and serve with a chilled glass.
Either way these will have you ?? the night away with all your friends while you eat all the chips and guac.
- Blood Orange Simple Syrup:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup blood orange juice (about 4 blood oranges)
- Blood Orange Margaritas:
- 1½ cup blood orange simple syrup
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 16 ounces triple sec (or any orange liquor)
- 16 ounces high-quality tequila
- garnish: lime, salt, blood orange wedges
- Blood Orange Simple Syrup: Combine the sugar, water, and blood orange juice over medium heat. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Take off the burner and let cool.
- Blood Orange Margaritas: In a blender, add the blood orange simple syrup, lime juice, orange liquor and tequila and mix until combined, about 30 seconds (add ice cubes to your desired consistency if you like them frozen). Then pour in a salt rimmed glass filled with ice. Garnish with lime wedges or blood oranges and enjoy!